The Department offers a Bachelors degree in Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS).
The Bachelor of Medical laboratory Science degree is designed to:
- Highlight the central role of the laboratory investigation of components of biological fluids, blood, urine, cerebrospinal fluid, secretions, excretions, tissues or organs, play in the diagnosis, management and prognosis of disease state.
- Enable students acquire the expertise to produce biological and diagnostic reagents as well as fabricate new equipment or repair or even modify existing ones and refine old techniques or introduce new diagnostic procedures.
- Have sufficient management ability to play a leadership role in training and the practice of Medical Laboratory Science.
- To organize and offer courses and such related studies to undergraduate students as may be prescribed by the Senate of the University and Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria leading to the award of the degree of Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS).
- To train and develop undergraduate students to fill the manpower needs of the country in Medical Laboratory Science.
- To produce Medical Laboratory Scientists who satisfy International standards and who can undertake further training towards specialization.
- To train up research scientists who are able to make researches in the various discipline of Medical Laboratory Science.